It may seem contradictory to us, but moderate exercise is the best therapy to improve our quality of life in case we suffer sciatic, hip or back pain.
In case the pain is intense it will be advisable to spend a small rest period. However, permanent immobility further intensifies this type of pathologies so common.
We can not forget that the movement is life and that the active exercise favors the health of the vertebral discs.
The simple movement and those exercises that achieve an adequate harmony of all the structures of our spine facilitate the proper exchange of liquid and nutrients to all these delicate structures.
In this way, we combat the pressure on the sciatic nerve and reduce the inflammation of the hip and the overload of the back.
Keep in mind that sometimes our worst enemy is our own “fear of pain” and the classic reasoning of “I do not move, lest it hurt me.”
These simple exercises will give you relief, offer you better mobility and an adequate quality of life. We invite you to take note of them.
1. Butterfly position to treat sciatic, back and hip pain
As we have indicated at the beginning, these types of exercises can be carried out only if the pain of our hip, back or sciatic nerve is not intense.
As soon as the discomfort is moderate, we will carry out this routine of stretching and postures whose goal is to improve the endurance and health of our bones, nerves and joints.
Keys carry out the posture “butterfly”
- Sit on the floor, on a rug, with your legs open and bent.
Try to have the sword straight at the beginning of the exercise.
We should try to get the soles of the feet together.
Hold your ankles while you do it.
If you can not reach this position, nothing happens. Day by day we will get it, but it is convenient to go little by little.
Later, you can begin to lean forward, until you feel a slight pressure on the hip.
Hold for 5 seconds, relax and repeat.
2. The bird posture
This exercise is one of the most interesting to relieve sciatic nerve pain as well as back or hip.
We are going to put in motion all those areas more conflictive and for that reason, it is very important that we are constant, that we carry out each day this exercise for 5 or 10 minutes.
Bird Exercise Keys
– Get on all fours on the carpet.
– The hands should be very firm and stuck to the floor.
– Then place your right knee behind your left hand while lifting your other leg slightly (to do this, you – should tilt your hip slightly).
– Hold this position for 10 seconds.
– Rest and repeat the same on the other leg (left knee should be behind right hand).
3. Exercises on a chair
We continue our routine with a simple exercise that you can carry out at any time of the day.
Take note of the keys to each step to achieve a real benefit in the back and hip and to relieve sciatic nerve pain.
Exercise steps on the chair
– Choose a firm and secure chair.
– Sit a little ahead, almost on the edge of the chair.
– Place the right leg over the left, so that the ankle is almost stuck on that knee.
– Hold that position for 10 seconds, take a breath and now, lean forward with your back straight.
– Repeat the same exercise with the opposite leg.
Exercises on the bed or sofa
As we have seen so far, this series of exercises can be carried out with total normality at home.
The most important thing is to remember something essential: this routine does not only serve to relieve the pain, it will allow us, above all, to prevent it.
We must realize that, every day, it is necessary to find 35 minutes to carry them out.
We will practice them calmly, without pain but always favoring that tension, that flexibility and resistance from where the authentic results arise.
How to perform a good exercise on your couch to take care of your back and hips
– Lie on the couch.
– Bend your right knee to the chest.
– If you can not get to this area, reach that point where, without feeling pain, you perceive that you reach the limit of your resistance. Day by day you will improve.
– Repeat this movement 10 times with your hands to support the knee.
– When you finish this series, start with the other leg.
To conclude, these four exercises are simple and very beneficial. However, always remember to consult with a good physiotherapist in case the pain of your sciatica is very intense or chronic.