To detoxify the hair is not necessary to resort to chemicals or expensive treatments. In fact, there are home methods that can be very effective in combating the effects of pollution, solar radiation and other environmental factors directly affect the hair and reduce vitality.
When the hair begins to look dull and looks bad in general, it is the ideal time to perform a detoxification.
What is hair detoxification?
By detoxifying the hair, it removes dirt and debris and other unwanted elements. In this sense, detoxification helps to eliminate not only the dirt but also the remains of fat that usually leave the common hair products. On the other hand, when a hair detox is performed, it is the ideal time for the application of other treatments that are desired, whether they are hair strengthening, growth, smoothing, etcetera.
How to detoxify the hair?
There are many ways to detoxify hair. Next, the best homemade recipes are presented.
Clay and aloe
- 1/2 cup bentonite clay powder.
- 1/2 cup of pure aloe vera gel.
- 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the bentonite clay, the aloe gel and the 4 tablespoons of vinegar until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and hair.
- Put on a shower cap and wait 20-30 minutes. Make sure the mask is not drying.
- Rinse the mixture with the vinegar cup.
- Wait 2-3 minutes and rinse with your usual hair cleaning products.
Benefits: the clay extracts minerals and toxins from the hair thanks to its strong negative electromagnetic charge. Aloe gel contains nourishing properties, as well as antioxidants that keep hair healthy. You can use this bentonite clay recipe once every two weeks to detoxify the hair.
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 3 cups of hot water.
- Mix the baking soda in hot water and keep it aside.
- Rinse the hair until it is completely wet.
- Pour the baking soda and water mixture through your hair.
- Work it well and massage your scalp for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse and condition to seal the detoxification.
Benefits: the hot water will lift the hair cuticles, allowing a deep cleansing action. Sodium bicarbonate eliminates the accumulation of oils, dandruff and eliminates the accumulation of products from your hair and scalp. You can use this detoxification of baking soda once a week or once every two weeks, depending on the tendency of your hair (dry or oily).
Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- 2 cups of water.
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar with the two cups of water.
- Wash and condition your hair as usual.
- Pour the diluted vinegar into your hair and do not rinse it further.
- You can rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar once a week or once in two weeks.
Apple cider vinegar cleans your hair without removing its natural oils. This is one of the easiest ways to detoxify your hair. It works best when you use the rinse after using natural sulfate-free shampoos.
Shampoo and sea salt
- 2 parts coarse sea salt
- 1 part of shampoo.
- Mix the sea salt and the shampoo.
- Massage the hair gently until foam is obtained.
- Rinse with warm water.
This exfoliating mix of salt and shampoo allows you to get rid of dead skin cells and clean the hair from the accumulation of products. This shampoo is ideal to detoxify hair once a month.
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey.
- 3 tablespoons of filtered water.
- Essential oils of your choice (optional).
- Add the honey to the water and mix until well combined.
- Moisten the hair and work the mixture
- Concentrate on your scalp and work your way to the tips.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Optionally, you can rinse the honey shampoo with apple cider vinegar.
Benefits: honey is a moisturizer that keeps hair soft and hydrated. After the initial transition period from chemical shampoo to honey shampoo, you will notice that your hair will be strengthened.
Coconut milk shampoo
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup of castile soap
- 2 capsules of vitamin E oil
- 15-20 drops of fragrant essential oil (optional).
- Mix the ingredients and store them in a bottle of shampoo.
- Moisten the hair and work the mixture as you would with your regular shampoo.
- Concentrate on the scalp and spread the mixture from the root to the ends.
Benefits: this mixture contains high levels of antioxidants and proteins. Castilla soap is an effective cleanser that will eliminate the accumulation of harmful substances. Change your normal shampoo for this homemade coconut milk shampoo and you will notice a favorable change in a matter of a few weeks.
Cucumber and lemon shampoo
- 1 large lemon
- 1 cucumber of medium size.
- Essential oils (optional).
- Peel the cucumber and lemon and chop them into small pieces.
- Mix the ingredients with an essential oil of your choice.
- Use this mixture as you would with your usual shampoo.
Benefits: the citric acid in the lemon cleanses your scalp while the cucumber refreshes it. This is the perfect mix for people with a scalp with a fat tendency, since it gets rid of it and also of dandruff. In turn, it promotes hair growth.
It does not take much to give the hair the care it deserves, so you can try this list of homemade shampoos and masks, until you discover which one you like the best and which works best for you. On the other hand, they can also alternate with each other, since being composed of natural ingredients are very versatile.