Blueberries are one of the fruits most beneficial to health.
Thanks to its antioxidant properties and its high content of vitamins and minerals, it helps prevent different health conditions like cancer and prevents premature aging.
Frequent consumption of blueberries has been proven to be ideal for people suffering from hypertension, diabetes, and cholesterol, as well as being excellent at treating urinary infections.
The biggest problem with regard to this fruit is its availability and price, since they tend to be quite expensive.
However, you can save yourself this problem by growing them in your own home. If you want to know how to do it, in Better with Health we tell you to step by step.
Come with us!
Cultivation of homemade blueberries
Although growing blueberries is really easy, one of the cons that presents this idea is that it is a rather slow process.
It takes about 3 to 4 years to bear fruit, however, this happens when you begin the planting process from scratch.
If you choose to grow with an older shrub, the process will be a little faster.
1. Think about how you are going to cultivate it and where
Whichever option you choose, you must take into account the space you have. Cranberry and its shrub require a lot of room to grow.
If you have a garden you can opt for a cultivation bed, which is excellent for water to pass under.
However, if you live in a small place, you can do it without any problem in a pot and this will also depend on how you start your process.
If you decided to start the process from the seeds, you must germinate them first in a nursery or, in its absence, a plastic container, before being able to transplant it after germinating.
When choosing a young shrub everything varies a little, since you will need a larger pot, about 20 liters.
After the shrub ripens, it must pass to a 70 or 80-liter capacity so that it has the necessary space.
2. Prepare the soil where you will start planting
The cranberry bush is known to grow and stay on fairly acidic soils, with a pH of 4.5 to 5. The important thing is to create an optimal soil for its growth.
You can do it with ingredients like:
- Cotton Seed Meal
- Fertilizer made from bark
- Pine Leaves
- Oak leaves
3. Choose what you will grow
Knowing that the blueberry bush takes so long to grow, it is important that you choose the type of plant you are going to grow and if you want to plant several shrubs at the same time.
If you choose this option, the most effective way is to do it in separate containers.
Blueberry is a fruit that needs a lot of sun to nourish itself. Water is necessary, however, its growth is not very optimum in conditions that are too wet.
It is best to water them every so often and that the pot where they are planted has a good drainage.
Once the crop has fruits and you have this incredible fruit in your hands, you can opt for an infinite number of recipes, smoothies and meals to use them.
A very easy option, but also delicious, is to prepare a recipe of muffins with blueberries and lemon, excellent for breakfast and for a snack.
- 2 ½ cups flour (300 g)
- 1 cup white sugar (200 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder (7 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (60 g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk, preferably skim milk (250 ml)
- ¼ cup melted butter (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (5 ml)
- 1 cup blueberries (180 g)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (10 g)
- Preheat your oven to 180 ° C (375 ° F)
- Place your muffins capacities in the tray, or grease the walls of the mold.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, previously sifted, sugar, baking powder, salt and stir well.
- In another bowl mix the liquids: Yogurt, eggs, milk, melted butter and vanilla essence.
- Add the mixture of the liquids to the dry mix and combine very well so that there is no lump.
- Then add the blueberries and add them in the mixture, along with the lemon zest.
- Fill capacities up to ¾ part of their capacity, so they do not overflow.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and come out completely clean.
- Let them cool to room temperature and enjoy.