Nail fungus, which can appear on both feet and hands, is known in medical terms as onychomycosis.
It is an infection of dermatophytes or yeasts that, in a suitable environment, can proliferate without problems on its structure.
It is a very common problem in the population and, although there are many ways to prevent it, it usually occurs at least once in the lives of most people.
Although they do not usually represent a serious health problem, their presence may lead to weakening, breakage, and total loss of the nail.
In addition, some people feel pain when using certain types of shoes and, with the days, they notice that the appearance of the nails is yellowish and unsightly.
Fortunately, it is a condition that can be treated naturally thanks to the antifungal properties of ingredients like turmeric.
This time we want to tell you why it is so effective and how to use it for this purpose.
Natural turmeric treatment to combat nail fungus
Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) is a root that belongs to the same family of ginger: the zingiberáceas.
Since ancient times it has been valued for its high content of nutrients and health properties that, both internally and externally, help maintain the well-being of the body.
Used as a dye and seasoning for many preparations, it is an indispensable ingredient in the kitchen of millions of people.
Although most of its applications have to do with gastronomy, it is also often used as the basis for many home remedies.
This is due to its potent analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic effects whose assimilation promotes the relief of many conditions that afflict health.
Why use turmeric to fight fungi?
As for the treatment of nail fungus, turmeric has shown very interesting effects.
And it is that not only it fights the microorganisms that cause it but it helps to alleviate the weakening and alteration of color that suffer from this problem.
- Curcumin, its main active compound, exerts an antifungal and antibacterial effect that helps to curb the growth of yeasts and dermatophytes that cause this disease.
- By the way, it provides a nutritional bonus to the cuticles and surface of the nails. Thus, it increases its strength to avoid the break.
- Even for its vitamin, antioxidant and mineral content, it is a great ally to counteract the damage that is usually caused by its continuous contact with chemicals and environmental surfaces.
How to prepare this turmeric treatment to combat nail fungus?
In order to enhance the effects of turmeric in the treatment of nail fungus, we propose to combine it with the prodigious coconut oil.
This ingredient has antibacterial and antifungal compounds that, when absorbed, help to curb the growth of fungi that cause this annoying problem.
In turn, thanks to its essential fatty acids and antioxidants, it provides moisturization and nutrition to the cuticles, controlling excess dryness and constant breakage.
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut oil (45 g)
- 3 tablespoons turmeric powder (30 g)
- Glass bottle with lid
- Melt the coconut oil, which should be 100% organic, and when it is melted, mix it with turmeric powder.
- Be sure to get a creamy product and remove from the heat.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and, when it is warm, store it in the glass jar.
- Once it solidifies, proceed to use it on the nails.
How to use
- Take the amount of turmeric remedy that you consider necessary and rub it on the nails affected by the fungi.
- Allow to absorb well for 30 to 40 minutes and rinse.
- If you like, apply it on the soles of the feet and other areas susceptible to the development of fungi.
- Repeat its use every day until you notice a noticeable change in nails.
- Keep in mind that, for optimal results, you should complement its application with good hygiene habits and the use of ventilated shoes.
Avoid having contact with humid environments because, unfortunately, these facilitate the growth of fungi.
Thoroughly clean your shoes and socks, especially if the fungi have made contact with them.
Avoid sharing utensils for personal use, such as:
- Nail clipper
- Nail polish
Last but not least, it improves your nutrition so that your immune system is strong in the presence of fungi and bacteria.