Chia seeds are a food originating in Central America, where they were used by the Mayans and Aztecs for medical and nutritional purposes.
They were forgotten after European colonization, giving way to other foods such as amaranth, quinoa and barley.
However, a few decades ago they gained fame all over the world and are now grown in many other places, positioning themselves as a “superfood.”
This is due to its high content of nutrients, such as proteins and fiber, whose assimilation optimizes the proper functioning of several vital systems of the body.
They also stand out as a source of omega-3 fatty acids, essential antioxidants and minerals that together increase energy levels and prevent disease.
Best of all, its light nutty flavor is easily blended with other ingredients, making it easy to incorporate into the regular diet.
Knowing that many still do not know their properties, this time we want to share 8 reasons to start consuming them.
1. Control Cravings
Because of their high dietary fiber content, chia seeds are part of the food group that slows down food cravings.
- This nutrient prolongs the satiety when ingesting the foods and, thanks to this, it prevents the excessive consumption of calories.
2. Help to lose weight
In addition to preventing overeating, this food contains healthy fats and antioxidant substances that decrease the accumulation of fat in the tissues.
- Their intake, in moderate portions, stimulates the functioning of metabolism and increases energy expenditure to burn calories more easily.
3. Strengthen muscles
The minerals contained in these seeds are ideal for improving muscle health, especially when significant physical efforts are made.
- These nutrients, in addition to their high-quality proteins, strengthen muscle mass and accelerate the process of tissue regeneration.
4. Reduce joint pain
Incorporating this food into the regular diet can reduce the risk of chronic pathologies such as arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- This is due to its contributions of omega 3 and antioxidants, which reduce the inflammation associated with these problems.
5. Improve bone health
The high-quality nutrients provided by chia seeds are a good complement to keep bones healthy and strong.
- Its significant contribution of calcium reduces the risk of loss of bone density and disorders such as osteoporosis.
- For their part, omega-3 fatty acids prevent inflammatory imbalances and minimize the negative impact of free radicals.
6. Support digestion
Eating this food on a regular basis is a simple and healthy way to support the digestion process and intestinal health.
- Its natural fibers bind with water during the digestive process and facilitate the elimination of waste and bowel movement.
- It is a prebiotic ingredient that, when assimilated, feeds the bacterium flora of the colon to prevent gastrointestinal infections.
7. Caring for cardiovascular health
Due to their slight contribution of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E, these seeds are a good food supplement to prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases.
- Both nutrients relieve inflammation and facilitate the control of bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides, the main responsible for heart disease.
8. Improve sports performance
To have a good sports performance is essential to consume proteins, healthy fats and other nutrients that act as a fuel source for all systems of the body.
- Chia meets these nutritional requirements and, for this reason, is one of the recommended foods for athletes and people who perform constant physical activity.
9. Help purify the organism
The antioxidants that bring these wonderful seeds are a great help to stimulate the elimination of toxins that accumulate in the bloodstream.
- These substances protect the cells and optimize the functions of the excretory organs to keep the body detoxified.
10. Prevent premature aging
Eating this food not only prevents the premature aging of the skin, but also the internal organs of our body.
- Its omega 3, vitamin E and essential minerals support the process of cellular regeneration and create a barrier against the negative action of free radicals in the environment.
- Do you need more reasons to eat them? As you can see, it is the complete food that, in many ways, promote our well-being.
Acquire them in herbal stores and supermarkets and see for yourself how good they are for your health.